Counseling Center News!!!
Here is a brief overview of what each class should be preparing for:
SOPHOMORES-Enjoy your time in the high school. This is when you should get involved in community and school related services. Start to take some elective classes to narrow down your possible majors in college or job options after high school. You will be taking the PLAN this year, which is the pre-ACT and is an important tool in helping you define your academic strengths and career interests.
1. Plan on taking the SAT and/or ACT in spring of this year (participate in review classes, if possible)
2. Continue to work hard and seek extra help. When applying to colleges next year, colleges want your GPA and class rank based on 9th, 10th and 11th grade scores. This may be your last chance to get accepted to the school of your choice.
3. Begin thinking about possible college or career options. If you are not interested in attending college, then begin obtaining skills that will make you marketable. If you are interested in attending college, visit www.access.bridges.com and begin narrowing down your college interests. It is important to start this process early to relieve pressure in your senior year, but also so you will be enrolled in the classes your college choice is looking for next year.
4. Visit colleges. Start visiting your top college(s) in the spring of this year and see if it is the right fit for you.
Graduation comes much quicker than you think. Junior year is a great time to gather information for your future. If you take this year as an opportunity to plan ahead, you will be more likely to enjoy your high school experience. As always, Good Luck and ENJOY!!!
1. Fill out and return college applications no later than early November
2. Consider re-taking the SAT and/or ACT exams
3. Stay informed about awards and scholarships available (morning announcements, Career Center and your counselor)
4. ATHLETES: register with the NCAA Clearinghouse as early as possible
5. Narrow down your college choices and plan to visit while school is in session-ask students what they think about the college
6. STUDY and WORK HARD!!! Colleges want to see that you are exceeding the school requirements and continuing to do well in your senior year
It is important to stay informed and active. As always, please feel free to contact me with any questions/concerns. Good Luck and ENJOY!!!