School Tax Collection Information
NEW: STAR Property Tax Rebate Changes
- Changes in the STAR Property Tax Rebate for New Homeowners Only (those who purchased a home after August 1, 2015).
- Rebate is now in the form of a check versus a direct credit on the School Tax Bill. New applicants who qualify for STAR will register with New York State instead of applying with their assessor. If they qualify, they will receive a STAR credit in the form of a check, rather than receiving a property tax exemption. The dollar value of the credit will be the same as the property tax exemption.
- New Homeowners must Register with NYS Department of Taxation using this link by July to receive a check by September of the same calendar year: https://www.tax.ny.gov/star/ or by phone at 518-457-2036.
- Homeowners are eligible for the Property Tax Relief Credit because Batavia City School District is compliant with the NYS Property Tax Cap. Additional qualifications for receiving the Tax Relief Credit are 1) Receive either Basic or Enhanced STAR; 2) Have an income of $275,000 or less.
- Maximum $185 Rebate Check
Please use the following links from the NYS Department of Taxation to further assist:
- NEW: 2019 Exemptions Changes Property Owners Age 65 & Over: https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/NYTAX/bulletins/2066c31
- Summary of STAR 2016 Transition Legislation: http://www.tax.ny.gov/images/orpts/star2016-amendments-summary.pdf
- Property Tax Relief Credit: http://www.tax.ny.gov/pit/property/property-tax-relief.htm
- Q & A: http://www.tax.ny.gov/pit/property/star/star-2016-tp-faqs.htm
PAYMENT INFORMATION FOR 2018 - 2019
In person payment can be made at any Bank of Castile location during normal banking hours.
Cash payments will be accepted for Bank of Castile customers ONLY.
Non-Bank of Castile customers' payment must be in the form of a personal check, Official Bank Check or Money Order from a recognized Financial Institution or Money Services Business.
Any taxpayer can send their non-cash payment to our Tax Lockbox.
2018 - 2019 Batavia City School District tax bills are issued October 1, 2018.
Payment is due by October 31, 2018 without penalty
November 1 - November 30, 2018: 1% interest charged
December 1 - December 31, 2018: 2% interest charged
- Make checks payable to Batavia City School District
- Mail payment to PO Box 6757, Ithaca, NY 14851 - include bottom stub from bill.
- Please verify amount to be paid. Any incorrect payments will be returned.
After December 31, 2018, payment will no longer be accepted. On or about January 15, 2019, the unpaid taxes in the City will be turned over to the City Treasurer for collection. Those outside the City will be turned over to the County Treasurer for collection at the same time. 1% per month additional interest is added and a 5% collection fee is charged.
If your tax bill is paid through escrow, please check with your bank before December 31, 2018 to be sure your tax bill has been paid.
Per NYS Real Property Tax Law (ss 922,942): A property owner is not relieved of the responsibility for payment of taxes despite the fact that his/her name is not properly entered on the tax roll and no statement of taxes was received by him/her. There is no provision of law which would permit a waiver of penalties and interest arising out of a failure to make timely payment of tax bills.
For additional information, please contact:
Melissa Currier, School Tax Collector
Monday - Friday 8 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Phone: (585) 343 - 2480 ext. 1008
Fax: (585) 344 - 8204
To view a 2018-2019 paid tax bill (receipt) or unpaid bill, click the button below:
*** You need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view the tax information ***
Directions to print your information are in the document below.