Resources for the families of Batavia City Schools
The following is a list of resources to help families with conversations about the Coronavirus and where to seek support for the additional stress it may be causing.
Talking to kids about the Coronavirus:
- Child Mind Institute: Kids Worry More When They're Kept in the Dark
- Help Kids Manage Anxiety around the Coronavirus (Expert Videos)
Coping with stress from an infectious disease outbreak:
- SAMHSA: Coping With Stress During Infectious Disease Outbreaks
- COVID-19 and YOUth is a new virtual group series for young people who are struggling with the stress of COVID-19 and are looking for some extra support and resources. WNYIL's Youth Peer Advocates created this 4 part series to address the needs and better support young people in maintaining their wellness while practicing social distancing and focusing on self care. To join please register at https://bit.ly/2RZ9jSA or Contact email@example.com or 716-836-8200 ext. 161 - leave a message. Dates are 4/28, 5/5, 5/12, 5/19.
If in Crisis:
- Crisistextline (crisistextline.org) or text HOME to 741741
- Batavia Care and Crisis Hotline 585-283-5200
- Spectrum CARES 716-539-6360 (for under 18 years old)
- 911 Emergencies
- New Yorkers can call the COVID-19 Emotional Support Hotline at 1-844-863-9314 for mental health counseling. Call to schedule an appointment with a mental health professional totally free.
Batavia Community Resources:
- Batavia City Schools - “Grab ‘n Go” Meal Distribution. The breakfast/lunch “grab ‘n go” meal distribution will take place from 9 AM - 11 AM, on Monday, Wednesday, & Friday. On Fridays, you will receive breakfast and lunch for 2 days. Meals are available for students and family members under the age of 18. They are distributed at the front entrances of John Kennedy Intermediate School and Jackson Primary School. Meals will be continuing throughout the summer.The dates are June 29th through August 28th. If you have any questions or concerns for our Nutritional Services Department please contact Susan Presher at 585-343-2480 x1007 M-W F after 12:00 p.m.
- During this period of the COVID-19 pandemic, Independence Express is offering to deliver medications, medical equipment from ILGR's Loan Closet, and free grocery deliveries to people with disabilities in our service area. If you are in need of transportation or delivery service, contact our office at 585-815-8501 and ask for an Independent Living Specialist for assistance. For grocery pick up the options are as follows: 1. Order and pay through Instacart and a driver will deliver your order. 2. One household member will be picked up and taken to the grocery store of their choice to shop. Driver will drive them back when finished shopping *You must be able to load and unload your own groceries and be able to enter and exit the vehicle without assistance. 3. The driver can go to a food pantry or food distribution place such as the Salvation Army for example, pick up the food and deliver it to the individual. The driver will unload the groceries and leave them outside. Once the driver is back in their vehicle the individual can come outside and get their food.
- Lydia’s Kitchen is open from 10 am-12 pm noon Monday-Friday. Located at The Assembly of God Church: 24 N. Spruce Street, Batavia. Currently doing bagged lunches. Extra food given on Fridays to help with the weekend.
- Salvation Army: Our Emergency Pantry will be available by calling our main office number 585-343-6284. Drive up service - Pull into our lot at the rear of the building (follow signage). Remain in your vehicle and we will bring food out to you and place it in your trunk. Hours of Operation will be Monday, Wednesday and Friday between 9:30 and 12:30.
- The Salvation Army, in Partnership with Bergen Evangelical Presbyterian Church and FoodLink, will be holding a Mobile Pantry food distribution every other week starting Wednesday June 10th at 3:00pm. This will be held at the Byron Bergen High School parking lot and will continue until all the food has been given out. On alternate weeks, distribution will continue at Northgate Free Methodist Church in Batavia (8160 Bank Street Road) at 9am. Both distributions will take place every other week until the end of August. These are drive through distributions. Guests will remain in their vehicle and be directed how to proceed. A valid photo ID is required for each vehicle. In Bergen each vehicle will receive 3 boxes weighing approximately 25 pounds each (1-dairy, 1-produce and 1-meat). These portions are designed for families of 4 or more. This is food that has been redirected to food banks for those needing assistance due to Covid-19. It is not excess food. We will only be able to provide 1 portion (3 boxes) per vehicle. No multiple pick ups allowed. Please have your trunk/hatch cleared out as volunteers will not be permitted to move your belongings. Back seats are highly discouraged for social distancing reasons. If you have any questions please call The Salvation Army at 585-343-6284. Someone will call you back.
- Community Action will give out emergency food through the back door only. Ring bell on door farthest from the road. 585-343-7798.
- Project Stork: For Genesee and Orleans County residents who have children 3.5 years or younger (6 month application must be WIC enrolled). Our emergency application is for families experiencing loss of income, domestic violence, foster care, house fires ... and our current crisis COVID-19. Needed family materials can be covered for up to two months (can be extended if needed). If you feel like you will NEED assistance, either temporarily or a more permanent basis to PLEASE get our application filled out at www.projectstorkinc.org. Other contact methods include email: firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone: (585) 590-6626.
- Care-A-Van Ministries, Inc. Phone: (585) 343-0328 or www.cavministries.org. Offers food and clothing each Saturday: Locations are as follows - - First Saturday of the month: East Main Street, electrical store near Blondies. Second Saturday of the month: Liberty Street by Ficarellas. Third Saturday of the month: Town of Batavia Fire Department across from Kmart. Fourth Saturday of the month: St. Paul’s on Washington Ave. Fifth Saturday of the month: Northside Meadows Apartment Complex.
- City Church Food Pantry is open Thursday's, 11 a-1 p & Saturday's, 10 a-12 noon. The Food Pantry is located in our Generation Center 15 Center St [across from Center St Smokehouse].
- Food For All will still be assisting those who need snap assistance over the phone by calling 585-815-5721.
- Catholic Charities: Call for a phone assessment 585-343-0614 ext. 17.
- Genesee County Mental Health: Still supporting clients and able to complete new intakes over the phone by calling 585-344-1421.
- Blue Cross Blue Shield Health Insurance: There are free or low cost Healthcare options available so that you don’t have to worry about the cost of your Healthcare. The NYSOH has given BCBS of WNY permission to enroll clients over the phone. The NYSOH has re-opened the enrollment period until April 15, 2020. If you would like to see if you qualify for free or low cost Healthcare with one of our application counselors call 716-388-5084.
- Fidelis Care: Anyone who needs health insurance can apply! The enrollment period has been re-opened until April 15, 2020. Reps can assist over the phone: 585-683-9543.
- 211 General Resource hotline Call 2-1-1 or 888-696-9211 or text your zip code to 898-211 or at www.211wny.org. Info on food, shelter, clothing, & mental health.
Please see District Social Worker’s Julie Wasilewski’s page on this site for any additional information or contact her at email@example.com
Batavia School Counselors and Social Worker are available through email:
District Social Worker
Julie Wasilewski firstname.lastname@example.org
Carina Bamann email@example.com
John Kennedy Intermediate
Barb Roba firstname.lastname@example.org
Lyndzi Hale email@example.com
Nicole Mayers firstname.lastname@example.org
Chris Hammond email@example.com
Liz Caputi firstname.lastname@example.org
Heidi Meides email@example.com
Eric Knapp firstname.lastname@example.org
Kelly Garner email@example.com
Joe Hussar firstname.lastname@example.org
Greg Ciszak email@example.com
Sherry Crumity firstname.lastname@example.org